These puppies are delicious, soy-free, pure organic deliciousness! They are perfect for vegans and anyone with an open mind. 10-15 min preparation, 25-30 min baking.
I remember the first time I tried walnut patties “kufteta” — I thought someone got mixed up and didn’t realize I didn’t eat meat. Secretly, I spit it out…only to find out that this patty was a legit vegan treat! Oh, what a shame.
This recipe was shared with me to share with you by my dear mom who put it together and then I added a little twist to it…or rather burn.
- 2 cups ground walnuts
- 1/3 head onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
- 1 Tbs psyllium husk
- 2 Tbs ground flax seed soaked in 2/3 cup hot water for 10 min [this is important!]
- 2–3 Tbs flour (whole wheat, oat, buckwheat or other) [I didn’t use it]
- Sea salt (Celtic Sea Salt is my recommendation for healthy salt)
- Seasoning — cumin, black pepper, fresh chopped parsley, etc.
This is what mine looked like:
- Soak the ground flax seed in the hot water for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put all the ingredients except the flour together and mix well. [If the mixture is too watery, add flour to get tick enough to make balls.]
- With oily hands make balls and arrange them on a pan with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with tahini sauce.
Here’s my twist:
- Instead of overcooking the patties, cook only 25 minutes, and then broil for a minute or two (depending on your oven), so you get a brown top and a nice look
- Let them sit for 30 minutes or until they are cool — waiting let’s them dry a bit more, so they’re nice and firm
They were so delicious, that I completely forgot about the tahini sauce until my belly was nicely full.